Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Opportunities to Coach and Referee!

5 posters

Go down

Opportunities to Coach and Referee! Empty Opportunities to Coach and Referee!

Post  clubref Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:03 pm

I was speaking to a few people at Sheffield RUFC last Saturday and they offered to put some people through coaching and/or refereeing courses in Sheffield. I don't know the exact details yet but they would be heavily subsidised, if not paid for. They don't want any obligation from you to coach or referee their teams.

This would be a good opportunity as it'll mean that every team could have referee cover if there aren't enough from the RFU. It would also be great to have quite a few coaches around.

Obviously I don't know the number of places available on the course but the more people that do it, the less you'd have to do! With referees especially you don't want to referee more often than you have to so more referees means more playing time!

If anyone's interested can you let me know?

I'm probably going to do the coaching course if it is available. There is a 'RugbyReady' course on at Sheffield Tigers on Saturday (10am-1pm) which is a precursor to the level 1 coaching. I may be able to get some people on it if you let me know ASAP.

Thanks, Adam Smile

clubref
Super Sub

Back to top Go down

Opportunities to Coach and Referee! Empty Re: Opportunities to Coach and Referee!

Post  brownbear Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:23 am

yo adam im interested in coaching, my no. is 07828559596, let me know

rosh

brownbear
Pop Tart

Back to top Go down

Opportunities to Coach and Referee! Empty Re: Opportunities to Coach and Referee!

Post  Rob Sandler Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:12 am

I think this would be a good way to help me learn the game lol! So very keen (unless as a prerequisite you need to know all the rules etc?!)

07900 080 221

x
Rob Sandler
Rob Sandler
Man of Sheffield

Back to top Go down

Post  clubref Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:32 am

Rob Sandler wrote:I think this would be a good way to help me learn the game lol! So very keen (unless as a prerequisite you need to know all the rules etc?!)

07900 080 221

x

Refereeing or coaching?

clubref
Super Sub

Back to top Go down

Post  clubref Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:35 am

brownbear wrote:yo adam im interested in coaching, my no. is 07828559596, let me know

rosh

The coaching pathway that you have to do is apparently:

Rugby Ready
TAG rugby
Level 1 coaching

clubref
Super Sub

Back to top Go down

Post  chris-jones Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:00 pm

I am keen to do coaching if you can get any more info?

Good work,
x

my number is 07716338581

chris-jones
Man of Sheffield

Back to top Go down

Post  clubref Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:44 am

IGNORE!

Last edited by clubref on Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:38 am; edited 1 time in total

clubref
Super Sub

Back to top Go down

Post  clubref Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:36 am

I've just received clarification about the options available.

Here are the scenarios.

1) Pay for coaching courses yourself (£168). This means you could do the Rugby Ready and TAG courses ASAP. Then you can do the level 1 coaching whenever you like, either when they put a course on in Sheffield, or find one yourself using this link: http://www.rfu.com/TakingPart/Coach/FindACourse.aspx

2) Get Sheffield RUFC to pay for the coaching courses. They would want you to help out coaching a junior team and it would require more commitment than option 1. You would also get your level 1 certificate a lot later (years).

3) Pay for refereeing course yourself (about £40). It is a 2 x 6 hour day course. You can then referee as much or as little as you like. You can either wait until an ELRA course is put on in Sheffield, or you can find one yourself using this link: http://www.rfu.com/TakingPart/Referee/Courses/AccessingAnELRACourse.aspx

4) Get Sheffield RUFC to pay for the referees’ course. They would want you to commit to referee age group teams on Sunday mornings at Abbeydale.

If you choose either option 2 or 4, then there would be help and guidance available through Sheffield RUFC in terms of mentoring etc.

If you choose option 3, then you can still referee age groups at Abbeydale on Sunday mornings but you would not have to commit to anything. The referee coaching and mentoring would be available to you.

Obviously if you choose either option 3 or 4 then you could join South Yorkshire Referees’ Society and referee on Saturday afternoons. I doubt this would be a feasible option for any club member.

Hope this helps!

Feel free to ping me over an email (mdb10ajc) or talk on Facebook!

clubref
Super Sub

Back to top Go down

Post  clubref Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:59 am

clubref wrote:3) Pay for refereeing course yourself (about £40). It is a 2 x 6 hour day course. You can then referee as much or as little as you like. You can either wait until an ELRA course is put on in Sheffield, or you can find one yourself using this link: http://www.rfu.com/TakingPart/Referee/Courses/AccessingAnELRACourse.aspx

Funding available from Yorkshire RFU which would reduce course price to £25.

There are RFU initiatives which can pay you to referee at events and tournaments either during the week (hard for medics I know), or on Sundays. Similar schemes are running in Durham and Newcastle, and they get about £20 for the event they do. There's plenty of opportunity to fund Stevo and Pop Tarts!

clubref
Super Sub

Back to top Go down

Post  rossakeating Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:19 am

still keen on doing my ref course. x
rossakeating
rossakeating
Man of Sheffield

Back to top Go down

Post  clubref Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:54 am

Next course in South Yorkshire is at:

Barnsley RUFC, Shaw Lane
8th and 15th May
10am-4pm

I know this is close to exams, but as there is not enough interest from students at the moment then we are unable to have our own course.

The cost of the course is £50 up front. However if you are still part of the club Al has said that half (£25) can be reimbursed afterwards.

I understand that the cost may be prohibitive. The reason they have introduced this is in previous years the RFU have fully subsidised a course for 15 students, of whom only 5 turned up.

Contact me (mdb10ajc) if you're interested and I'll get the forms sent through to you from the course organisers.

clubref
Super Sub

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down